Is your child's day care home or facility licensed?

Every child care home and child care center should have a state license and it should be displayed for you to see! If you don’t see a license or the expiration date has passed, please call our Child Care Licensing program at 785-843-3060 because they are providing illegal care.
Photo: This is what the Kansas license should look like. Be sure to check the expiration date and the address!

State Staff/Child ratio requirements for Child Care Centers and Preschools

If your provider does not meet the following staff/child ratio, please call our Child Care Licensing staff at 785-843-3060.
Age of Children Minimum Staff/Child ratio Maximum number 
of children per unit
Infants (2 wks-12 months) 1 to 3 9
Infants to 6 years 1 to 4 (max. 2 infants) 8 (max. 4 infants)
Toddlers (12 months-2 1/2 years) 
if walking alone
1 to 5 10
2 years to 3 years 1 to 7 14
2 1/2 years to school age 1 to 10 20
3 years to school age 1 to 12 24
Kindergarten enrollees 1 to 14 28
School age 1 to 16 32

Home License Capacity - One Adult

Under 18 months 18 months but under age 5 5 years but under age 11 Total
0 7 3 10
1 5 4 10
2 4 3 9
3 3 2 8

Home Group Capacity - Two Adults

Under 18 months 18 months but under age 5 5 years but under age 11 Capacity
1 8 3 12
2 7 3 12
3 6 3 12
4 4 2 10

Open Records Request

To check a child care facility’s compliance history prior to February 2012, complete the following steps:
  • Identify the name and address of the child care facility
  • State the type of information requested
  • The type of information that most people find helpful are Notices of Survey Findings and Administrative Orders. Notices of Survey Findings document any on-site visit made by a child facility surveyor including annual inspections, compliance checks and the results of any com plaint. Administrative Orders issued by the Secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) are: an Intent to Deny, Intent to Revoke, Intent to Suspend, Emergency Suspension or Intent to Assess a Civil Fine.
  • State the time period requested
  • Include your full name, complete mailing address and email or phone number
  • Mail the request to: Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Child Care and Health Facilities 1000 SW Jackson, Suite 200, Topeka, KS. 66612-1274 OR submit the request by email to
The fee for an open record request is 25 cents a page, plus $7 per administrative hour. For pages 8.5 by 14 inches or larger, the charge is 50 cents a page. There is no fee if the total is less than $10. After researching the files, KDHE will inform you of the cost. Payment is due before the requested information is mailed. The records will be produced after receiving the payment as quickly as feasible.