Be Active Safe Routes
Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health partnered with local educators to develop a Be Active Safe Routes Curriculum in 2022. The Be Active Safe Routes Curriculum is available for grades K-8 and is grounded in Kansas educational standards. The lessons build on each other year after year to increase knowledge and skills over time. The biking curriculum is intended to be done in a PE classroom. The integrated lessons provide additional opportunities to increase knowledge around active transportation in the other school subjects, including English/language arts, math, science, social studies, the arts, and more.
This curriculum is provided free to educators, with funding support from the KDHE Chronic Disease Risk Reduction Grant.
Have questions or looking for additional support? Complete the Google Form and we will get back to you.
Here you'll find digital copies of our 2022 Safe Routes brochures. These include helpful safety tips and different maps for each Lawrence school.
- Broken Arrow Elementary (PDF)
- Cordley Elementary (PDF)
- Deerfield Elementary (PDF
- Hillcrest Elementary (PDF)
- Langston Hughes Elementary (PDF)
- New York Elementary (PDF)
- Prairie Park Elementary (PDF)
- Quail Run Elementary (PDF)
- Schwegler Elementary (PDF)
- Sunflower Elementary (PDF)
- Sunset Hill Elementary (PDF)
- Woodlawn Elementary (PDF)
The Safe Routes to School Plans for Lawrence, Eudora, and Baldwin City were approved by the MPO Policy Board on November 19, 2020. View the approved plans for each community below:
|Plan:||Lawrence Safe Routes to School Plan||Eudora Safe Routes to School Plan||Baldwin City Safe Routes to School Plan|
To view the public comments/staff responses and approval process visit lawrenceks.org/safe-routes.
Code of the City of Lawrence 2011 Edition
- Lawrence Public Schools
- Lawrence Transportation Commission - MPO Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Lawrence Unchained Bicycle Co-op
- Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department
- Lawrence-Douglas County Metropolitan Planning Organization
- LiveWell Douglas County
- National Center for Safe Routes to School @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>